San José Parish, Calarcá, Quindío 100 years, history, culture, evangelization and tourism

San José Parish, Calarcá, Quindío 100 years, history, culture, evangelization and tourism
San José Parish, Calarcá, Quindío 100 years, history, culture, evangelization and tourism

ARMENIA

The San José de Calarcá parish and the 100 years of foundation, the Catholic church carried out various activities to commemorate the centenary of this important parish that is the epicenter of culture, heritage, tourism and development of the town of Cacique.

At Caracol Radio Armenia we speak with two priests of the Diocese of Armenia about the history, creation, and celebration of this centenary.

Initially the priest Hugo Mario Nossa of the Diocese of Armenia and the history of the San José de Calarcá parish, Quindío

Context

Within the framework of these 100 years of being elevated, the dignity of parish does not mean that there was no presence before in Calarcá, it does not mean that in 1924 there began to be a presence, there was already a presence, Since the very foundation, the parish priest of Salento, Father Ismael Valencia, accompanied the founders, he was present at the Foundation, blessing the first chapel and celebrating the first Eucharist, but since 1889 the parish began its life, as a vice parish, it is a canonical figure that exists for those communities that are barely growing that are just being established. So from that moment on it began to function as a vice parish, already having a resident priest, since it was sometimes shared with other towns.

Photo Courtesy Facebook San José de Calarcá Parish

By 1924 it functioned as a vice parish, already having complete independence from Salento.although it was therefore part sheltered in its territory, but its books were totally independent, its accounting, its independent priests, but it still had the canonical figure of Vice parish

History of the creation of the San José de Calarcá Parish

ANDn 1924 the second bishop of Manizales, Monsignor Tiberio Jesús Salazar y Herrera He comes to visit the territory that is Quindío, what was the west of Caldas that it is today, well Risaralda and visits these towns, when he arrives in Manizales he says those towns are growing and these towns can now be elevated to Parish and it is like a stroke of a pen, since not only Calarcá de San José was created, but it also created the Immaculate Armenia, Montenegro, Circasia, and also created Córdoba and Barcelona, ​​which were born together, and Pijao, all these parishes in a single stroke of a pen..

The beginning as a San José parish

They began to operate here in Calarcá, since the first parish priest at that time was Father José Antonio Marín. who had already been becoming a parish priest, and since 1920 he had just been ordained with Father Luis Gonzaga, who was the one who had already begun to build the temple, because when Father Luis Gonzaga became ill, it is worth it because he had Agua de Dios leprosy, so the father assumed the responsibility. parish of 1922 so he had to be there since 1922 as vice parish priest. And he is responsible for the entire creation and elevation of the parish.

Why the name Saint Joseph?

First It had as its patron the name of Our Lady of the Rosary, it is true that it was that that came a lot with the settlers as well and at that time, well in the 19th century it was alongside the devotion to the Virgin of Chiquinquirá to the Virgin of the Rosary.the Virgin of the Rosario of Chiquinquirá was therefore consecrated, although always the Virgin of Rosario and let us remember that the main founders of Calarcá came from Villamaría, Don Segundo Henao, Román María Valencia were and lived in Villamaría and many of the families, since they came down from Villamaría received the Salento in the meantime and then they went down to found Calarcá so it will be there they brought that devotion, already in 1902 there were some documents that Father Sacramento His patron, Nuestra Señora del Rosario, asks his parishioners, temples, houses and parishes, if they use those little jars to collect funds, and Father Ismael himself vale Valencia when Valentín Macías interviews him and in 1925 he says it and manifests it to Calarcá. I consecrated Our Lady of the Rosary.

Photo Courtesy Facebook San José de Calarcá Parish, Quindío

But Already in 1924, when it was elevated to the category of parish, it was given the title of San José and as patronage to the Virgin of Carmen, yes, so remember that at that time there was a lot of growth also in that time of the 1920s that devotion to Saint José is elevatedWell, Saint Joseph is also the Patron of the Universal Church, so many parishes adopted that man in Quindío, because it was more or less the time when Saint Joseph was also proclaimed as the patron of the Universal Church.

Temple infrastructure

The priest Hugo Mario Nossa of the Diocese of Armenia He explained that the parish has gone through many processes on the subject, since it structures the temple as such, true, since It went from being a first to a little chapel made of tiled wall. Then attempts began to be made since 1905 or so, attempts began to be made to build a large temple. and that is why Calarcá was delayed in construction

In the years In 1915, the large Gothic style temple was built, similar to what the Inmaculada Manizales is today, much larger and taller. and well, then Father Alzate in the 1940s and 1950s began to renovate the columns, to make them in brick, of course, because everything was done in that architecture, trembling was that it was pure walls and wood and everything was brass on the outside that It was brought from Germany and it was wood and what was built with what there was and it was one of those structures, just as we can see the cathedral of Manizales but in the cathedral of Pereira, that is, it is the structure and then it replaced the material, it was made The pediment was made by Father Alzate, the tower behind the bell tower, which I believe is one of the tallest in Quindío.

Brick infrastructure changes

After the Council, renewal comes, so sometimes it seems that everything old has to be put an end to, so After the Council, there was a lot of rethinking, nothing of the baroque, nothing of the Rococo, nothing of these Gothic things, so there was a lot of tendency towards minimalism at a time. So it was a time when there were many abuses in construction., then many things were damaged, works of art, many works of wood, things that there were then, all the wood that was the parish, since the parish had its three naves made of wood that Santiago Giraldo’s coca had brought from the farm, he was the He gave away all the wood and everything was done there. That collapsed and simply well that’s what we have now just one. A single room let’s put it that way.

The temple of San José today

In recent times, as I have already done Father Wilson emphasized, as he has tried to make an artistic and aesthetic recovery of the temple, these paintings that have been placed on the altarpieces. that all the details have been placed, the restoration of the images, all of that has been, well as in recent times let’s say it was a preparation in prelude to the centenary.

What does it mean for the Church when a parish reaches 100 years?

It is a great achievement, as well as in the administrative life in the municipalities or in their municipal life or in their life, well foundational, well it is something of a great achievement, that is, also reaching a centenary of evangelization, of work, of accompaniment, to build, pBecause everything was built around the church, the civic life, the cultural life, the educational life, the spiritual life of our people. and in Colombia in Latin America the Church has played a very important role in all development in every sense.

Activities for the 100 years of San José Parish

The parish priest of the San José Duberley Tapasco Church on the activities “we have also planned Eucharistic celebrations through audiovisual means where we have called the different human groups, we have called on schools, merchants and parish priests who have been good, different activities that will begin on June 25 and will extend until July 4 that we have scheduled in the parish.

The temple, today is a reference of course for the municipality of Calarcá It continues to be that reference where all the artistic, liturgical, and sacramental beauty that is in the temple is enhanced, that has helped many people to ask themselves the first thing when they arrive in Calarcá, well, we are going to see the temple and they leave very admired.

Graphic and Audiovisual Museum of Quindío, living history of the department 50 years…

When and how will the National Coffee Festival 2024 be in…

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

-