Israel receives latest response from Hamas on possible deal…

Israel receives latest response from Hamas on possible deal…
Israel receives latest response from Hamas on possible deal…

Bloomberg — Israel has received the latest response from Hamas on a proposed hostage and cease-fire deal, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said, as Mediators continue to work toward a deal that could end nearly nine months of fighting in the Gaza Strip.

Read also: Israel orders evacuation of Gaza city in face of possible new attack

A Hamas official, who asked not to be identified discussing private deliberations, confirmed that the group gave mediators a new response. The person said: The response remains in line with Hamas’s long-standing demands for a ceasefire.a withdrawal of Israeli troops and the return of displaced civilians.

If those demands remain intact, negotiations are likely to continue to falter. Israel has so far resisted withdrawing its troops from Gaza, arguing that it will not stop its fighting until Hamas is eradicated. Netanyahu’s government has also only so far committed to the idea of ​​a Temporary ceasefire as a way to free the kidnapped hostages after Hamas fighters attacked the south of the country on October 7.

That attack by Hamas, labeled a terrorist group by the United States and the European Union, sparked a Israeli military campaign that has killed some 37,000 peopleaccording to Gaza’s Hamas-run health authority, and has sparked a humanitarian crisis in the area. Mediators from Qatar and Egypt – with help from the US – have worked in recent weeks to hammer out a proposal that both sides could accept, without success so far.

You may be interested in: Israel and Hezbollah are increasingly closer to a full-scale war

President Joe Biden joined those efforts in late May when he announced a three-phase proposal that would chart a path to ending the war. From the beginning He said that Israel had accepted and that the obstacle was Hamas.even as Israeli officials wavered over his commitment to supporting their idea.

The pressure to forge a ceasefire has taken on new urgency with growing fears that Israel is lurching toward all-out war with Hezbollah fighters across its northern border in Lebanon. Early Wednesday, the New York Times reported that an American envoy, Amos Hochstein had traveled to France to discuss ways to ease tension along the border.

–With the collaboration of Fares Akram.

Read more on Bloomberg.com

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

-

PREV Julián Chona: the rising mariachi star who arrives on the music scene in Bucaramanga
NEXT Linda Caicedo, a female soccer star who will be at the 2024 Olympic Games