A couple in their sixties died in a house fire in the Latina district

A couple in their sixties died in a house fire in the Latina district
A couple in their sixties died in a house fire in the Latina district

The two fatalities, a 63-year-old woman and a 67-year-old man, died after suffering cardiorespiratory arrest.

A couple in their sixties died and nine other people were injured early Monday morning in a fire in a house on the 12th floor of block number 7 of the Cullera streetlocated in the Madrid district of Latinaaccording to information provided by Emergencias Madrid to Europa Press. The fire may have started due to an electrical fault, according to initial data.

The two fatalities are Rafael, 67, his wife Maria, 63, owners of a jewellery stall in Madrid’s Rastro. Both have died after suffering a cardiorespiratory arrest and without Samur-Civil Protection being able to revive them. In the same house as this couple were two adults and three children. The children’s mother has suffered serious burns on 20% of her body when rescuing her children and has been taken to hospital in a serious condition. The children, aged five and three, have suffered mild smoke poisoning.

Firefighters from Madrid City Council have extinguished the flames and rescued seven people, of whom four (including two children) have been transferred in a mild condition to the hospital. October 12 Hospital due to smoke inhalation, according to Emergencies Madrid.

Another woman has been transferred in moderate condition to the Hospital of Peace after suffering burns on 25% of her body, and another has ended up in the Gomez Ulla Hospital with minor injuries to the arm; three other people were discharged at the scene.

The fire started at 2:00 a.m. in the living room of the house and completely destroyed the affected apartment, located on the 12th floor of the 13-story building. Smoke filled part of the stairwell, which did not prevent it from being used to evacuate the neighbours.

Firefighters have said that extinguishing the fire has been complicated by the height of the damaged house and because the flames “started in the first room of the house, as accessed from the door, and The victims were in more remote rooms and we had to go through the middle of the fire,” said David Ramos, head of the Madrid City Council Guard. 14 fire brigades from Madrid City Council were involved in extinguishing the fire.

The neighbours of the block have explained that they experienced moments of great nervousness, as the inhabitants of the house have called for help through the windows. “It was a very voracious fire and it spread very quickly,” explained one of the neighbours. Other residents have complained about the delay in the fire brigade’s arrival and claim that it was a son of the deceased couple who first went up to the 12th floor to try to rescue his parents.“It was all very slow and once the firefighters arrived they spent a lot of time getting up,” repeated several relatives today on Cullera Street. The City Council says that 10 minutes after receiving the warning of the fire there were already four cars at the door of the block and denies that it took time to act.

Rafa and Maria had lived in the house for more than 40 years. All the residents say that they were “very good, friendly people and great neighbours”. “We are devastated, they are humble and hard-working people who have helped us whenever they could,” said a woman who knew the two deceased, through tears.

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

-

PREV District Education Secretariat joins the Third Great Vaccination Day
NEXT The UCM says that Begoña Gómez has not provided documents on the software contracts for a month