More than 300 professionals will participate in the fight against fires in La Rioja this summer

More than 300 professionals will participate in the fight against fires in La Rioja this summer
More than 300 professionals will participate in the fight against fires in La Rioja this summer

AGONCILLO (LA RIOJA), 9 Jul. (EUROPA PRESS) –

More than 300 professionals will participate in the fight against fires in La Rioja this summer. A team of technicians has carried out a demonstration of boarding a firefighting helicopter at Agoncillo airport, as part of the forest fire prevention measures this summer.

The Minister of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural World and Environment, Noemí Manzanos, and the Government delegate in La Rioja, Beatriz Arraiz, visited this Tuesday the Logroño-Agoncillo airport, where the air base for defence against forest fires is located.

Manzanos has stated that prevention against forest fires “is one of the most important policies developed by the Ministry, both for its budgetary effort and for the work and results it has been achieving.”

He said that “the department allocates around 10 million euros to forest fire protection every year, 60% to fire prevention and the other 40% to extinguishing them.”

La Rioja has around 300 professionals for fighting fires. “Of these, 110 are forest firefighters, 80 forest agents and various communication technicians and guards in the Ministry. In addition to the air patrol and the collaboration of the two Ministry planes, provided by CARIF,” the Minister stressed.

“We hope to have a good summer and that good weather conditions will accompany us, and it will all be thanks to the prevention work that has been carried out this year.”

“The firefighters from CEIS, Logroño City Council, Civil Protection and volunteers will be taking part in this firefighting campaign. In addition, the people of La Rioja are increasingly aware that a fire is not better than one that is not lit,” stressed Manzanos.

Arraiz said that “this is the clearest and most positive example of collaboration between administrations, as you know the Government of Spain supports the Autonomous Communities in the prevention of fires.”

For his part, one of the firefighting team’s technicians, Nicholas Eley, explained that his job “is to get to the fire as quickly as possible and control it in its initial state. Our advantage is speed, but we are another link in the La Rioja team. When we get to the fire, we work with the rest of the teams.”

The coach said that “this year it is hot but there is a lot of humidity and everything is very green, so although we have not yet made any exits we are prepared and we train every day.”

“The best fire is the one that doesn’t catch fire, but if it does, it’s best if we all work together to put it out,” Arraiz concluded.

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

-

PREV Summer family cinema a success at its first screening
NEXT The Golden Age, a relic for all ages – Escambray