Charred bodies and screams after the Israeli attack on a refugee camp

Charred bodies and screams after the Israeli attack on a refugee camp
Charred bodies and screams after the Israeli attack on a refugee camp

Witnesses and survivors described a terrifying scene of burning tents and burn victims after what the Gaza Health Ministry said was an Israeli attack on a tent camp housing displaced Palestinians in Rafah, southern Gaza. the Gaza Strip.

The Ministry of Health said that at least 45 people in the field they had died and another 240 had been injured.

The Israeli military said it had led an attack on a Hamas compound and killed two Hamas leaders.

An Army legal official said Monday that the attack was under review.

Video

The fires occurred after Israel’s airstrikes on southern Gaza.

Testimonials

Bilal al-Sapti, 30, a construction worker in Rafah, said he saw charred bodies among the rubble of the camp in the Tal as Sultan area of ​​Rafah, and people screaming as firefighters tried to put out the flames.

Palestinians flee the Tal al-Sultan area in Rafah with their belongings following renewed Israeli attacks on the southern Gaza Strip city on May 28, 2024, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the militant group Palestinian Hamas. (Photo by Eyad BABA / AFP)

“The fire was very strong and spread throughout the camp,” he said.

“It was dark and there was no electricity.”

Al-Sapti said shrapnel from the attack destroyed the tent where he was staying with his wife and two children, but that his family was unharmed.

“What kind of tent will protect us from missiles and shrapnel?” he said.

Report

UNRWA, the main United Nations agency helping Palestinians, described on social media platform “hell on earth”.

Several videos from the same place, verified by The New York Timesshow fires raging through the night as people frantically pull bodies from the rubble, screaming in horror as the charred remains are carried away.

In the morning, several shed-like structures were demolished and cars burned, as images show.

The sheds are part of a displaced persons camp known as the Kuwaiti Al-Salam 1 Camp.

The Times verified that the locations seen in several videos showing fires and burning bodies are from the same camp, comparing them with previous videos on the aid group site.

In a statement on Instagram, one of the groups supporting the camp, the Al-Salam Association for Humanitarian and Charitable Works, said that in addition to dozens of dead and hundreds of wounded, more than 120 tents and dozens of bathrooms were burned and damaged, and a water well was destroyed.

Adli Abu Taha, 33, a freelance journalist who was at a nearby field hospital run by the United Arab Emirates Red Crescent, said the dead and wounded began arriving there shortly after hearing two loud explosions.

“Several wounded arrived missing one or more limbs and suffered severe burns,” Abu Taha said.

“The hospital was soon overwhelmed,” he added.

When Abu Taha went to the camp on Monday morning, all he could see was “destruction” along with “the smell of smoke and burning flesh,” he said.

He said some families were dismantling their tents and preparing to find somewhere else to seek shelter.

Dr. Marwan al-Hams, who was at the Tal Al Sultan Health Center in Rafah, where many of the victims arrived before being transferred to nearby field hospitals, said that of the dead and wounded he saw, most They were women and children.

“Many of the bodies were badly burned, had amputated limbs and were in pieces,” he said.

Mohammed Abu Ghanem, 26, said he and the 13 other people who had taken shelter with him in a tent in the camp were wondering where to go.

“I heard they are bombing everywhere and I don’t have money to pay for the trucks to evacuate people,” he said, adding:

“We have no choice but to stay here and wait for death.

c.2024 The New York Times Company

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

-

PREV What do the new policies propose? • Workers
NEXT Wasps qualify for playoff in Cuban baseball tournament